Thursday, November 22, 2007

Backyard Symphony I: The String Tree

The materials for this photo set were magnificently simple. The most essential part, of course, were the strings. I used a set of D'Addario .010's (endorsement please), which are nice because they have differently-colored ball ends. I'm all about the colors, don't you know.



The strings were atached with nails (sorry, tree). I was also fortunate enough to have a tree in my backyard that had a geometrically protruberant imprecision (read: round-lookin' thing) that functioned as the tree's "sound hole", mimicking that of an acoustic guitar.




I also liked how the strings reminded me of spiderwebs.




...which are designed to catch things.




...and give them a sense of suspension-- I decided to help these leaves defy gravity a little.







They were a real bugger to hang-- I can't imagine how Andy Goldsworthy finds the patience...


No comments: