Thursday, November 22, 2007

Backyard Symphony II: Psychedelicize



This guitar had a long and tortured history. I bought one of those "build your own guitar" kits from a music store years ago. I didn't even really bother with the actual construction aspect of it-- I assumed most of the hardware was crap, and besides, I just wanted to paint the body to look like Eddie Van Halen's guitar. (Red with black/white stripes-- you know the one. Only I used blue instead of red). Anyway, lots of cans of Krylon later, I had a pretty cool-lookin' body.






I wondered if it would ever be playable. I took one look at the schematics for installing one's own pickups etc. and thought, "Ha ha ha no." So I took it to a luthier's.








He said that the guitar pieces could be assembled into a technically playable thing, yes. I told him I wanted a single humbucker in the bridge position. I also showed him the neck I had bought from Warmoth.com. He took it all in stride.




When the guitar was finally assembled, despite my helping the guy, it was indeed a functioning instrument. Except it was all solid white, my snazzy EVH paint job having been covered by a starker base coat for further artistic renderings.


The guitar looked cool but was pretty unpleasant to play. The small frets meant I had to exert myself mightily just to press the strings down. The neck, for some reason, felt dry and sticky. It had all the slick, lissome playability of a flypaper strip. The coolest thing about it was probably the locking Floyd Rose bridge. I could flail on that sucker all day and it would stay in tune nicely. Songs I would play none, but I could get a melismatic shriek out of this beast no problem.





One day, after drinking lots of coffee, I decided to wreak my will upon this poor Frankensteinian guitar once more. Using some fine tipped markers, I decided to doodle upon it anything that took my fancy. It wound up being bright and oddly affable. (I also wrote the names of numerous guitarist-type heroes around the pickup itself, in an incantory fashion).





And there you have the story of the psychedelicized guitar... at least so far. Heart.








No comments: